Dal Makhani or Maa Di Dal, Probably one of the most ordered dal dish across all Indian restaurants, is a rich buttery curry that infuses black urad dal with rajma beans to create a flavorful drama that creates a memory to last long enough till gobbled again. In this post I will be sharing with you a very easy Restaurant-Style recipe of this simply amazing dish that will tantilize your taste buds.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Black Urad Dal – 200 Grams
- Rajma or Red Kidney beans – 75 Grams
- Tomato – 2 Medium sized
- Onion – 2 Medium sized
- Green Chilli – 1 to 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Butter – 40 grams
- Hing or asafoetida- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 table spoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kasuri methi – 1/2 tablespoon
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tablespoon
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dal and rajma for 4-5 hours and pressure cook it for 3 whistles on a high flame and 15 mins on a low flame.
- Heat some oil in a pan. To it, add the hing and cumin seeds and allow it to flutter.
- Add the chopped onions and cook till they turn slightly brown. Now add the finely chopped green chillies.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the finely choped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Let it cook until the tomatoes are tender.
- Mix the boiled dal and rajma mixture and add enough water and allow the gravy to boil.
- Add the coriander leaves, garam masala, black pepper powder and butter.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh cream.
Tip : To make a low fat version, add half a cup of milk instead of the butter to get the same taste.