Aloo Gobi or cauliflower – potato stir fry is one of the most requested comfort food in every household. This scrumptious combination would please anybody’s appetite and leave one wanting for more.
I dedicate this amazing and quick Jain recipe to my Mother in law who has mastered this very simple yet delicious method with easily available home kitchen ingredients. We absolutely love this recipe and would cook it every time we run out of ideas for a simple meal.
Since it is a Jain recipe it doesn’t require onions or garlic thereby reducing the effort to make it a one pot dish that can be easily made in a pressure cooker.
Cooking time : 20 mins
- Potato – 2-3 medium sized
- Cauliflower -1 medium sized flower
- Hing or asafoetida – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, finely chopped or crushed
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Water – 50 ml or 2-3 tablespoons
- In a pressure cooker, add the oil and let it heat up. To the heated oil, add hing and cumin seeds and fry it for a few seconds.
- On a slow flame add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and ginger and saute until the raw smell of ginger fades away. Do not do it on a high flame since this might burn the masala.
- Add the diced potatoes and chopped cauliflower along with salt and stir well.
- Add the water (very little, 2-3 tablespoons only) and close the lid of the cooker with its whistle.
- After two whistles on a high flame and 2-3 minutes on a low flame, switch off the stove and wait for the cooker to release the steam.
- Open the lid, place it on a high flame and add the coriander leaves. Stir it and let all the excess water evaporate.
- Serve with roti, naan or parathas!
Tip : You can also add some green peas and follow the recipe exactly to get another version of this great dish!